Laughable is a technology company in the comedy business.
We have a two-pronged mission:
1. Empower consumers of comedy to discover content and comedians that most reliably make them laugh, and
2. Empower creators of comedy to grow and monetize their fan bases.
To be more succinct: we help consumers of comedy find funny, and we help creators of comedy find fans and money.
To this end, we’re building a global marketplace for comedy, running the gamut of ‘comedic output’ — from digital content, to merchandise, to live performances — and powered by mobile software, data science, and a kick-ass brand everyone knows, loves, and trusts.
Deeper Dive, Starting with What We’re Doing Today
The Laughable App
Available on iOS and Android, Laughable enables you to you subscribe not only to podcast series, but ALSO to individual comedians and other public figures, seamlessly surfacing their appearances as a host OR guest.
The profiles we’ve created for thousands of artists — including world’s largest database of comedians — contain their podcast appearances alongside direct links to their social media pages, website, & tour dates.
While Laughable’s specialty is comedy podcasts & comedians, we also offer a massive library of non-comedy podcasts and have created profiles for an impossibly eclectic array of fascinating people like Barack Obama, Gloria Steinem, and Jon Hamm. Whatever app you’re currently using to get your podcasts… you’ll like Laughable more.
Insights & Analytics
We believe there’s a massive, mostly untapped opportunity to use data science to recommend artists & content to consumers more effectively, and to help artists better understand their audience and create more engaging content.
We have built several groundbreaking analytics tools in service of these goals. For example:
– The Laughable Artist Graph visualizes the linkages between the most popular artists on our platform based on the listeners they have in common. This proprietary data is foundational to our continually improving artist recommendations.
– We were the first company ever to show podcasters how listeners engaged with their content on a minute-by-minute basis with our Laughable Episode Timelines. Our in-app recommendations are informed by data on which episodes are particularly effective at holding users’ attention on a sustained basis.
– We are able to show artists where their fans are listening to them, all around the world, with Laughable Geographic Insights. (This data contains no personally identifiable information and each location, while accurate to within 1km, is intentionally thrown off from the “true” location by a randomized distance between 250 & 500 feet.)
Validation So Far
There’s mounting evidence we have built a truly special app. For example:
– 91% of our 3,800+ iOS App Store reviews are for 5 out of 5 stars — a better batting average than that of any other app focused on comedy or podcasts. The biggest reasons people love Laughable are that it’s simple/fun to use, and it makes it easier than ever before to discover and listen to podcasts and comedians.
– Apple has featured us on the App Store multiple times. Each year, Apple selects only a few hundred apps out of the 2m+ in the Store for this level of promotion. That’s less than 0.02%, or 1 in 5,000.
– On average, Laughable spend 9 hours per week listening to podcasts through the app and 35 minutes per week directly engaging with our UI (i.e. tapping, typing, swiping, etc.).
It’s just the beginning for Laughable. We’re excited to continue building a worldwide community of comedy fans both online and off.
– Are you a podcaster or comedian who would like to get listed on Laughable, or simply learn more about our platform from an artist’s perspective? Please head to this FAQ.