Last updated 10.22.2017
This is a constantly evolving document that we hope you, dear member of the creative community, find edifying, encouraging, and useful. We discuss two of the most important ways we can help artists — helping you sell tickets and providing you with listener engagement data — before covering other topics in an FAQ format.
Other Useful Links:
– Read an overview of Laughable’s offerings and ambitions
– Read about the “Unified Theory” underlying our efforts
– Read our advice on how to make your podcast ads more impactful and lucrative
– Download the Laughable iPhone app for free
– Sign up to be notified when our Android app is ready
SELL TICKETS TO YOUR LIVE SHOWS ON LAUGHABLE
We recently introduced the ability to sell tickets to live shows directly through our app. (You can read more on how and why we’re doing so here.) This is the fastest, easiest way to buy tickets in existence. Here’s what the UI looks like:
Pretty cool, right?!
For now, Laughable will partner with you at no charge: i.e., no up front fees and no cut of the revenue from any tickets sold. (However, please note that we must pay $0.30 + 2.9% per transaction to Stripe, our payment processor). We will send you a check within 5 business days of the show. Please note that tickets must be for GA seating.
For more information and to submit any upcoming shows, please go here.
THE LAUGHABLE ANALYTICS SUITE
We wanted to let you know, up front, about our recently launched Laughable Analytics Suite. These are tools that allow you to gain deep insights into your fans and how they’re engaging with your content. In private, we have been providing anonymized engagement data/analysis to dozens of artists over the past few months: data on profile views, fans’ geographic distribution, subscription count, and other metrics. We are now rolling out some of these offerings to the broader community of artists and wanted to let you know about the first major piece to go live: Episode Engagement Timelines.
Laughable’s Episode Engagement Timelines. What Do I Need to Know?
It’s time to move beyond download count as the be-all and end-all metric of podcasting success. Our episode timelines show you exactly what Laughable users actually listen to vs. skip on a minute-by-minute basis. You can’t get data that’s even close to this detailed anywhere else; basically, we’ve invented an x-ray machine for podcasts. Below is a blinded sample.
If every listener had been tuned in to every second of this episode, the red area would take up the entire chart. But that never happens, in reality. Dips correspond to where people fast forwarded or tuned out altogether.
This data can be used to increase audience engagement and to create even more impactful ads. The more people who hear your ads, the more effective those ads will be and the more money you can make from them.
If you host a podcast and are interested in seeing this data for your own episodes, here’s what you need to know:
1. We will make a timeline available to you for free for any episode that attracts more than 150 unique listeners within 90 days of its release.
2. We have found that the best way to get your audience using Laughable is to tell your listeners about why they will benefit from using the app — and to give them a clear call to action to start using it. To this end, here are the key points you might want to hit; please feel welcome to put into your own wording and style.
- Benefits: Laughable allows you to search for thousands of comedians and other public figures and easily find all the podcasts they’ve been on as a host OR guest. It’s easy to use and you can listen not just to [NAME OF YOUR POD], but also to discover new podcasts and comedians to love.
- Call to Action: iPhone users can go to laughable.com/download to get the app. Android users can sign up to be notified when Laughable has a version ready for them at laughable.com/android.
3. You can contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org when you’ve done this so we can can keep an eye on your unique listener count and generate timelines for you as they become available. Please note that we won’t share timelines attributable to your show with third parties else unless we get your explicit permission.